Second ODI postponement agreed by West Indies and Ireland

Analysis Knight Rider

Second ODI postponement agreed by West Indies and Ireland

Second ODI postponement agreed by West Indies and Ireland
The Ireland squad has been severely weakened as a result of three new Covid-19 positive tests and two injured players, necessitating the postponement of the second ODI against the West Indies, which was scheduled for Tuesday. In a joint statement to the media, Cricket West Indies (CWI) and Cricket Ireland (CI) said all alternatives would be considered to finish three ODIs and one T20 match of the series.

Last weekend, Ireland skipper Andy Balbirnie, wicketkeeper-bat Lorcan Tucker, and interim head coach David Ripley all returned positive tests, according to ESPNcricinfo. The three of them add to Simi Singh and Ben White, who were both pulled out of the first One Day International on Saturday. This is also due to after they received positive results for Covid-19. Balbirne and Tucker both took part in the match, which West Indies won by 24 runs. The whole West Indies camp, according to ESPNcricinfo, tested negative till Monday.

Because the series is being played in Jamaica, the teams are adhering to the Jamaican government's medical requirements, which recommend regular RT-PCR tests until they are negative.

Ireland's plight has been made worse by the injuries to Andy McBrine and fast bowler Mark Adair. McBrine, who suffered "mild symptoms" of injury after being hit while batting in the first ODI, has been given more time off by Ireland's management. Adair is said to have sustained a foot injury that is being studied.

The remaining dates of Ireland's Caribbean tour are expected to be decided within the next few days. The release stated CWI and CI are in conversations to reassess the match schedule and are looking into all options for finishing the competition.

In some good news for the visitors, allrounders Paul Stirling and Shane Getkate have finally joined the squad after testing positive shortly after Ireland's ODI series against the USA was cancelled owing to a Covid-19 outbreak in the managed environment.

While all of the Ireland individuals were free of the virus during the trip, members of the support crew and partners or family members of the Irish teammates tested positive. As a result, the Ireland players were regarded to be close contacts, and the three One-Day Internationals were cancelled.